Bura Chapori is a nature’s nest. An enchanting land with the Himalayas on one side and Brahmaputra on the other, it is home to a thousand varieties flora and fauna.
Bura Chapori is a wildlife sanctuary lying along the banks of the Brahmaputra. Situated in the Sonitpur district in Assam, Bura Chapori is only 46 square kilometer in area. Also Bura Chapori wildlife sanctuary is a part of the Laokhowa – Burachapori eco-system.
Bura Chapori is a great tourist spot due to its low rise vegetation. Most of its greenery is grassland. These grasslands have become home to hundreds of birds. Due to its semi-evergreen forests and grass land nature, you have more visibility.
That further means it is easy to spot herds of bison or Asiatic buffalo grazing the grassland. Be prepared to be amazed to see the famous Indian rhino which roams openly here.
Although you have to be extremely lucky to spot an RBT in Bura Chapori, you can surely spot its smaller cousins. The leopards and the civets make great photo subjects along with the barking deer and wild boar.
Most of all, Bura Chapori is a great destination if you want to spend your holiday in nature and wildlife without having to venture too deep into the jungle. Full of greenery and fresh jungle air, you will spend a most relaxing time.
Best time to visit is all round the year except the monsoons. The weather is extremely pleasing from November to March.
Bengal florican, swamp partridge, wood cock, water hen and parakeets are commonly found here making it a bird lover’s spot. Photographers will get a lot open space and green-land to click their heart away.
You can leisure your time away in the sanctuary. The forest is said to be abundant with medicinal plants.
How to go
- If you go by air, the nearest airport will be Salonibari which is 30 km from Tezpur. You can take a taxi, bus or rent a car to go to Bura Chapori Wildlife Sanctuary. From Guwahati airport, the distance will be about 160 km.
- If you come by rail, get down at Rangapara. From there you have to travel 60 km to Sonitpur district. You can take a local bus.
- You can take a bus to Tezpur from Guwahati. Tezpur is well connected by roads in Assam. Bura Chapori Wildlife Sanctuary is 180 km from Guwahati.
Where to stay
- You can stay at the Bhalukpong Tourist Lodge which is about 30 km away from the Bura Chapori sanctuary.
- Also there are a number of hotels in Tezpur. If you have a prior booking they can also arrange a pick up for you from the airport or railway station.
- You may contact here if you need more details – Divisional Forest Officer, Western Assam Wildlife Division, Dolabari, Tezpur, phone- 03712-268054, Range Forest Officer, Burachapari Wildlife Range, Dhania (Assam).
Credits: assamforest.in, assaminfo.com, mountainadventuresindia.com, udayanborthakur.com, groupouting.com