How would you like a scene straight out of a fairy tale with a wooden house, sprawling mountains and white swans? At the first look, Jorpokhri can be very well placed as a hamlet in Europe.
Situated at an altitude of 7400 feet above the sea level, lies the beautiful tourist destination of Jorpokhri. Just 19 kms away from Darjeeling this is a picturesque little spot on the top of a hill. Surrounded by pine forests all around, Jorpokhri is a must visit at least once in your lifetime.
If you are still wondering, you will stay in the wooden cottage, bask in the stars at night in pollution- less sky and rise to the view of third highest peak in the world, the majestic Kanchenjunga. The charming garden surrounding the cottage blooms with varied flowers almost all the time. The landscaped gardens and the water fountain in the middle of the lake will make you want to spend all of your day there.
Related: Palmajua – Bengal’s secret paradise
On a clear day you can also get the view of Darjeeling and Kurseong. The cottage is placed beside two pristine lakes with beautiful swans cackling about. Jorpokhri derives its name from the lakes, meaning the ‘two lakes’. If you are interested in ecology then you would find it delightful to know that these lakes are home to the rare Himalayan salamander called ‘Gora’ which was thought to be extinct until discovered here. The area has also been named as the Jorpokhri Wildlife Sanctuary due to the rich variety of flora and fauna.
Jorpokhri is pleasant to visit all throughout the year but it is better to avoid the rainy season due to hilly roads that may become risky.
From Jorpokhri you can take a nature walk into the Senchal forest area and visit the nearby tea gardens. Many people go to the nearby Pashupati Nath market of in the Indo-Nepal border. Trips can also be made to Lepchajagat, Mirik and Darjeeling.
How to go
- Jorpokhri is 19 kms from Darjeeling, 23 kilometers from Mirik and 5.5 kilometers from Lepchajagat and 85 kms from Siliguri.
- You can book a vehicle from Darjeeling taxi stand. It will take 1-1.5 hours by road.
- From Mirik it will take around 3.5 hours to drive to Jorpokhri and the route is very picturesque
- You may take the road From Ghum to Sukhiapokhri. Sukhiapokhri is 11kms from Ghoom and Jorpokhri is 2km more from there.
- Nearest airport is Bagdogra
- Nearest Railway station is New Jalpaiguri (NJP)
Where to stay
There is only one public staying option in the Jorpokhri hilltop, which is the exotic wooden bungalow and pre-book before you go. It is a two storied building with two double bed rooms and two double suites which offer a view of the Kanchenjunga. Food served is mainly Indian and in the room. Room tariff was at Rs. 1800/night plus taxes (check the latest). Recently some more accommodation options are being made near the Jorpokhri Wildlife Sanctuary area.
Image credits: flickr.com, 2.bp.blogspot.com
- Unwind in the Valley of Rhododendrons in the dreamland called Yumthang
- Dip in the hot springs of Garampani Wildlife Sanctuary
- Go to Bura Chapori in your next holiday