The mountains of northern Bengal have hidden in them some marvellous lesser-known havens and one of those is Palmajua. Situated at an altitude of 7250 ft from the sea level, it is a small hamlet in the Singalila National Park.
Palmajua is a special spot – it is best for those you like the tranquil lap of nature, homemade delicious food, eye for some great photography and lots of birds. Palmajua is home to hundreds of species of birds that make it a photographer’s dream destination. Surrounded by breathtaking hills and landscapes and little tourist footfall, it is the best place to refresh and rejuvenate.
Far from the hue and cry of the city awash in fresh air, breathe and you will feel yourself fitter and younger. The sight of Mt. Kanchenjunga will lift your spirits. Visit the adjoining Singalila National park to sight the rare Red Panda and the weird Pangolin.
You can also take short treks through the wooded area and guides are available for that. A small streams flow with crystal clear water flows and is an excellent birding spot.
How to go
- Nearest railway station is New Jalpaiguri and airport is Bagdogra.
- You can hire a car from New Jalpaiguri to reach Manebhanjan. Palmajua is 35 km from Manebhanjan.
- If travelling from Darjeeling, Manebhanjan is 1.5 hours drive and from there it will take another 1 hour to reach Palmajua. On the way you will cross Batasi and Dhotrey.
- If you are a trekker and returning from Sandakphu or Phalut, Palmajua is around 18 kms from Rimbik.
Where to stay
- You can stay in the Singalila Jungle Lodge which is a local family owned cottage. This is located in a widespread area and you will only get no sounds except for the sounds of nature and songs of birds. There are rooms with attached bath and also another option of separate rooms with common bath to fit your budget. You will a fireplace in every room.
- Food is usually prepared by the family and the ingredients are organic and home-picked. They provide services for laundry, room service, guide and tours. Cultural programmes on request would also be organized by the locals.
- Bonfires and barbeques are also available upon additional cost. You also arrange for fishing there if you love to do so. If you pre-book with them, pick and drop from New Jalpaiguri station can also be arranged.
- Apart from this, home stay options are also available in Palmajua.
Image credits: indianaturewatch.net, indiagetaways.co.in, Charioteer Tour & Travels
- Unwind in the Valley of Rhododendrons in the dreamland called Yumthang
- Visit Baramangwa – one of the most breathtaking destinations in India
- Where to go in your next holiday? Try the spectacular Jorpokhri